Learning for Sustainability and ‘Putting Young People at the Centre’
This is a time of change for Scotland’s education system.
The Scottish Government and COSLA have launched the ‘most inclusive ever discussion on education in Scotland, with learners playing a key part in decision-making’. And to step up action on Learning for Sustainability, a refresh of the Learning for Sustainability Action Plan is currently underway.
The need to support young people to contribute to the building of a socially-just, sustainable and equitable society has never been greater – and there’s never been a greater opportunity to do this.
How do we ensure that youth work sector organisations can collaborate to support these important new developments?
On 05 October, Learning for Sustainability Scotland and YouthLink Scotland co-hosted a roundtable discussion which provided the opportunity for practitioners in the youth work sector to:
• Understand the current education and Learning for Sustainability policy agendas
• Share contributions to the 2022 National Discussion on Education and LfS Action Plan refresh
• Identify opportunities for connecting and collaborating with others and between sectors (communities/youth/schools/colleges/universities)
Contributors on the day included:
- Professor Carol Campbell and Professor Alma Harris: co-facilitators of the National Discussion on Education in Scotland: #TalkScottishEducation
- Lucia Ramon-Mateo: Policy Manager from the Curriculum Division at Scottish Government, who is leading on the refresh of the national Learning for Sustainability Action Plan.
- Mollie McGoran, MYSP & Vice-Chair of the Scottish Youth Parliament and Sophia Georgescu from Children’s Parliament, who shared more on the work being done to gather the views of young people with regard to the LfS Action Plan Refresh.
Session resources and next steps
- Participants also engaged in some wonderful breakout group discussion about how we join the dots across and engage young people in these vital discussions. Click here for the summary of those discussions.
- View the whole event here.
- Join the conversation and have YOUR say in the National Discussion by 05 December at https://lnkd.in/e4cRx-en. #TalkScottishEducation